Schedule : 30th of June – 1st of July 2017
Place : Sonkajarvi, Finland
Prize – Win your Wife’s Weight in Beer, Trophy and Money.
Love your wife? Prepared to carry her to the ends of the Earth? Try to proof how much love your wife in this Championship. In this Championship Male competitor carry his female teammate and run across 253.5 mt over sand, grass and asphalt. and the place to do it is the town of Sonkajarvi (Finland), during the annual county fair of the town.
Several types of carry may be practiced: piggyback, fireman’s carry (over the shoulder), or Estonian-style (the wife hangs upside-down with her legs around the husband’s shoulders, holding onto his waist).
Wife Carrying Competition Rules
These are the following rules set by the International Wife Carrying Competition Rules Committee:
- The length of the official track is 253.5 meters.
- The track has two dry obstacles and a water obstacle about one meter deep.
- The wife to be carried may be your own, or the neighbor’s, or you may have found her further afield; she must, however, be over 17 years of age.
- The minimum weight of the wife to be carried is 49 kilograms. If she weighs less than 49 kg, she will be burdened with a rucksack containing additional weight to bring the total load to be carried up to 49 kg.
- All participants must enjoy themselves.
- The only equipment allowed is a belt worn by the carrier and a helmet worn by the carried.
- The contestants run the race two at a time, so each heat is a contest in itself.
- Each contestant takes care of his/her safety and, if deemed necessary, insurance.
- The contestants have to pay attention to the instructions given by the organizers of the competition.
- There is only one category in the World Championships and the winner is the couple who completes the course in the shortest time.
- Also the most entertaining couple, the best costume, and the strongest carrier will be awarded a special prize.
While the International rules are the basis for all competitions, rules and prizes do vary for each competition.
Now Wife carrying competition is also activated for the countries like Australia, the United States of America, Hong Kong, Estonia,UK and other parts of the world but not in Finland and this competition is also marked in the Guinness Book of Records.